Play the following game with your child and teach him about the different muscle groups in his body.
We made 6 cards using free clip art of various body parts. You can download here:
Print the cards out onto heavy card stock. Cut out and turn them face-down in a pile.
Have your child draw the top card, then roll a die.
Ask your child to find the corresponding body part on his body. Show him where his muscles are in that body part and have him feel them.
Ask your child if he can think of an activity, action, or exercise using those muscles. Have him do an action with those muscles the number of times he rolled on the die. See if he can feel his muscles flexing as he does the action.
- Legs – bending up & down, jumping, kicking, skipping, walking, running
- Arms – lifting, pulling, reaching, punching, waving, hugging, washing, high fives
- Hands – squeezing, touching, patting, scratching, writing
- Feet – stretch the toes, lift up on tip-toes, tap foot
- Neck – shake head, nod head, chicken neck action, turn head side to side
- Stomach – sit ups, laughing, body twist
Repeat with the rest of the cards.
Why We Like It:
This fun activity makes your child more aware of his muscles and how they work by observing and feeling them. It also encourages your child think about which muscles he uses for common everyday activities.